In the second part of today’s “On This Day” – and I hope you enjoyed the ‘Chat Through’ from the bizarre game in 1996 – it is time to look back over other events that took place today, the 8th June.

It’s Monday so, as per normal, it coincides with the Saturday twelve months ago in 2019 and it’s not one to remember really – the away game in SPCL Division One at Sparsholt!  The home side won by 89 runs after a short spell of rain reduced the target to 221 in 39 overs.  Jeremy Frith’s 91 and Michael Haworth with 46 had already given Sparsholt a solid platform before Dave Banks’ blistering 54 boosted the total to 245-7 in their reduced 46 overs.  Mark Lavelle with 34 and Ben Johns 40 gave us a good start but we had no answer to Liam Doran’s 5-35 and Ollie Perrin with 3-50.

There was better news for the 3s though who came back from Andover 3s with a good 37-run win thanks to an all-round effort from skipper Paul Jewer.  He hit 44 opening up and was well supported by Mike Cotton (31), Adam Carty (28) and Matt Ellerby (29*) in our 188-6.  Ryan Carty bowled both openers without scoring on his way to 2-22 but it was the captain’s 3-2 in seven balls that clinched the victory, removing the hosts for 151.

It was another Round One encounter in the SPCL T20 competition 2014 and we had a difficult away trip to Sarisbury Athletic, and so it proved as we went down by 46 runs to exit the tournament at the first hurdle … again!  The home side batted first and racked up 169-3 with Ricky Rawlins hitting 62* and Dave Banks 31*.  We slipped to 33-4 as Josh Holden, Ben Johns and James Rose scored two runs between them.  Only Mark Lavelle (24) and Mike West (20) made any impression, although we were gifted 36 extras but still only made 123-6.

The start of the 2013 SPCL season had gone well with four wins and the sole Hursley Park loss as we arrived at week six and a home game with US Portsmouth.  And we would make it five from six but not without a scare.  Darren Vann won the toss and decided to put US in and all seven bowlers used chipped in with a wicket – Elijah Turriff-Smith opened the bowling again and was the pick, taking 3-30 as the visitors were bowled out for 155.  At 93-2 and Ben Johns well set, the victory looked a formality.  But we are Calmore Sports and there is no such thing as a formality and this was another to slot into that category.  When Johns went for 48 at 118-5, the game was in the balance but thankfully James Rose’s stubborn 17 not out saved any blushes and took us home by two wickets.

Both the 2s and the 3s enjoyed big wins – the 2s away at Paultons 2s and the 3s at home to Portchester 2s.  Paultons put the 2s into bat and a steady flow of runs took us to 173-9 as Mark Hardy (34), skipper Ben Perry (32) and Michael Cook (37) led the way.  A strong home side were washed away for just 93 as Paul Henry (3-12) and a couple of wickets each for Daniel Croft (2-18) and Roy Walton (2-13) rushing through our local rivals to secure an 80-run win.

The margin of victory for the 3s down at the Old Ground was even bigger as they thumped Portchester 2s by 131 runs.  Kevin Gardner hit 41 at the top of the innings but it was the fourth-wicket stand between George Woodhall (51*) and Nigel Hill (73*) that sent us soaring to 213-4.  Tom Pattison stormed through the visitors with 5-27 and was aided by Jason King (2-36) and Allan Provins (2-6) as they crashed from 62-3 to 82 all out in no time.

A trip to The Quarters in Hursley was our destination for the first round of the Daily Echo Trophy on this Tuesday night in 1993.  The hosts were still basking in their National Village Cup win at Lord’s the previous August – I think Clive Surry played in that game but really not sure as he hardly ever mentions that he hit 76 not out, including a six over the Tavern Stand and won man of the match for leading his side to a six wicket victory off the last ball on the grandest cricketing stage in the world!  Anyway, back to this game and it was Clive who was the lynchpin of the home sides’ 129-7 in their 22 overs as he held firm for 56 not out (of course he was not out!!!) in 48 balls with Michael Oliver making 27 – Dominic Newman’s 2-18 and Steve Brandes 2-16 the pick of the bowlers.  We soon found ourselves in trouble at 36-5 before an unlikely sixth wicket partnership pulled us back into the game – Kevin Marshall, boosted up the order to number 6 hit 31 and Keith Woodhall a swift 33-ball 41 putting on 61 to raise hopes but it wasn’t to be as we ended 10 runs shy at 119-8 (Chris Mitchell 3-51).

We return to Saturday league action and the 2s were in County Two in 1991 and faced a trip to Hook and Newnham (their first XI) and we came back with a sizable 83-run win with a bowling display of West Indies in the 1980s stump rearranging quality – either that or they kept playing down the wrong line!  We were put into bat but they watched Gary Stinson (29 off 78), Mark Boston (24 off 57), Keith Woodhall (46 off 58) and Pete Tucker (49 off 44) score runs comfortably before a late burst from Cliff Estall, hitting two sixes in his 22 not out helped tick us beyond 200 at 202-8.  Eight of the 10 H&N wickets to fall were bowled in reply!  Estall’s 4-14 – the first three wickets and the last one of the innings – was aided by Billy Sims’ 3-38 (all bowled), Roussel with 2-11 and Mark Angel 1-27 as they were upended for just 119.

I don’t know about you, but I love these ones as we head back to 1985 and a match in New Forest Division 4 between the 4ths and Wellworthy – from the piston rings factory in Lymington!  A superb bowling display from Phil Wilkins, who took 7-22 and Paul Stainer (3-19) rolled them for just 44 in 21 overs.  Pete Wakeford (7) and Gavin Hopgood (5) took the total safely to double figures.  You know what’s coming!  10 wickets and 22 runs later – Russell Scorey did get 7 not out – it was all over and we would lose by 12!  Hopeless!!

While the 4s were being shot, the 3s were playing out an epic one-run win against New Milton 3s.  Gerry Connolly made 35 and John Robertson 20 but it was the hard-hitting Steve Thomas’ 43, which contained three fours and four sixes that was to be ultimately crucial in lifting our total to 135-8, especially when the visitors were 80-1 in reply.  It was the bizarre dismissal of opener T. Farmer that opened the floodgates – Iain Bowring got him to tread on his own stumps – they crumbled against Robertson (3-20), A. Davies (2-32) and captain Maurice Geary (2-16) and ended one run short!

And if that was not enough, the 1st XI were producing a brilliant about-turn win at the Southampton Sports Centre against Old Simmarians in County One.  Things were not looking good as we, batting first, slid to 57-7 against Turner (4-48) and Osmond (3-58).  But a great stand of 80 between Baz Oram and Michael Newman completely altered the course of the contest.  Wicket-keeper Baz hit four sixes and five fours in his 63 while Michael crunched three of each in his 44 which took us to an unlikely 170-9.  It was more than enough as Steve Brandes (4-31) and two wickets each for David Barnes (2-30), Ron Merritt (2-13) and Newman (2-17) cut through Old Simms for just 98.

Finally, we head back to our first season of league cricket in 1974 and what a simple thing it is!  Played 5, won 5 in the HCL South West Division with this latest win over St Cross 2s.  Bob Wilcocks cracked 79 and Martin Newman 38 as we eased to 185-5 down at King George V Ground.  The visitors, who had former Hampshire batsman Richard Lewis in their side, were rolled over for just 100 as Pete Wakeford claimed 4-37 and Jimmy Gill 5-29 to maintain our perfect 100% record … a record that would last until mid August!